Among the larger expenses of household maintenance, homeowners face replacing the roof and attempting to locate a trustworthy, competent roofing company. Asking friends, neighbours, and coworkers are a good place to start for referrals, however, they lack the qualifications to answer the legal questions involved. The following serves as a checklist of answers to obtain when scouting a reliable roofing company.
Experience and Referrals
Select at least three companies within your area to contact and then ask them all the same questions, starting with their history and then technical facts about their employees. Your questions can include:
- How many years have you been in business?
- How long have you been at the same address?
- Do your roofing professionals have any specialized training?
Size of Work Crew and Pricing
Ask about free estimates and the size of the work crew to be put on the job. Beware of lower prices as they indicate haphazard quality, and large teams mean hidden and unnecessary expense. Don’t be afraid to dig deep into their answers and how they support them. Also, make sure they clean up after the job and suitably haul away the scraps and any debris from the area.
Licensed, Bonded, and Insured
We highly encourage you to ascertain the validity of their business license, any bonding requirements, and that their insurance policy covers their workers. The insurance must cover the employees if injured on the job, instead of filing a claim against your homeowner’s policy.
Manufactured products carry a factory warranty, but we recommend you ask about warranties on the work done by the local company. Under usual circumstances, roofs and roofing carry a 10 to 25-year warranty.
Quality of Materials and Certification
Along with material choices, find out about the different types of roofing material, and if any factory certification requirements exist before the company can sell their products. Also, ask about installation requirements and what types of adhesives the job requires.
At TechPro Roofing, we specialize in:
- Asphalt Shingle Roofing: We replace end-of-service-life asphalt shingle roofs with newly updated “fiberglass laminate” shingles that carry a long warranty.
- Cedar Roof Conversions: Over the years, the quality of cedar diminishes and we replace them with asphalt or polymer composite systems.
- Flat and Low-Slope Membrane Roofing: We specialize in replacing old, outdated roofing materials with the current best Green roofing available in Firestone or Duro-Last membrane systems. These systems carry up to 30 years warranty for both manufacturing and installation and provide fully recyclable intent without going to the landfill.
Replacing the roof is a serious issue and deserves careful consideration in finding a contractor you can trust. We have 30 years of experience, factory trained technicians, and manufacturer’s certification on all of the products we offer. When you begin your phone search, please allow us to answer your questions about roofing in the Vancouver Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley