Asphalt Shingle Roofing
Some information concerning asphalt shingles you might like to know
- Organic vs Fiberglass Based Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are available in two forms and it is important to understand the differences between them. Traditionally locally available shingles were referred to as “duroid” shingles. The distinguishing characteristic of a duroid shingle is that they are manufactured using an organic fibrous mat, most often recycled paper, as a foundation which is then impregnated with asphalt. As opposed to this, “fiberglass laminated asphalt shingles” substitute a stronger fiberglass mat for the fiber mat of a “duroid” shingle. The difference is a much improved and longer-lasting shingle with the shrinking, curling, and buckling prevalent with “duroid” shingles eliminated. TechPro only installs fiberglass laminated asphalt. The accompanying photo shows how organic mat shingles are prone to failure after providing a very short service life.
- Asphalt Shingle Weights: Traditionally the quality and longevity of a particular shingle has been correlated with the shingles “weight per square”, i.e. per 100 square feet. The heavier a shingle’s weight, i.e. the more asphalt it contains, the longer the service life it is supposedly capable of providing. In recent years, all shingle manufacturers have been reducing their shingle weights to a degree, but two major US shingle manufacturers have reduced their asphalt to just above what is required to legally import a shingle into Canada. These manufacturers claim they have made a break through in their mat technology that has allowed them reduced their asphalt content but it will be years before it will be possible to determine if this has been an acceptable trade off.
- Asphalt Shingle Manufacturer Warranties: Traditionally, asphalt shingles were backed by manufacturer material warranties that ranged anywhere between 25 years for light weight three tab “strip” shingles, to 30 or 40 years for heavier weight layered profile “architectural” shingles, to 50 years “lifetime” warranties for heaviest weight “designer” shingles. Then a few years ago, one of the leading US manufacturers made the decision to provide “Limited Lifetime Warranties” for its entire product line with nothing else changing. This action forced all the manufacturers to follow suit to the point that every manufacturer now offers limited lifetime warranties. The trick in all of this however, is that every weight class of shingle has a different declining depreciation schedule associated with it that essentially provides the same level of coverage as was provided under the old system. The bottom line is that nothing has really changed except for the marketing.
- Asphalt Shingle Warranty Reality: The following chart provides insight concerning roofing manufacturers having commenced providing “Limited Lifetime Warranties”. The reality is that residential and commercial shingle roofing in North America is on average replaced in less than 20 years.
Enviroshake Composite Shingle Roofing
Enviroshake shake and shingle products are made from 95% recycled materials and offer the following advantages:
- Lifetime warranty that is fully transferable
- Replicates the look of #1 grade taper-split cedar
- Installs at cost equal to cedar roofing.
- Will not rot, blister, peel or crack
- Maintenance and worry free
- Mold, mildew and insect resistant
- No pre-treatments or preservatives required
- Installs with less waste
- Can be walked on
- Miami Dade wind speed rated at 290 km/hr
- Retains its value, giving the homeowner a 70-80% ROI
- Fire resistant – Class C fire rating (Class A with a Class A underlayment)
- Hail & impact resistant – Level 4 impact certification (UL2218)
DaVinci Composite Shingle Roofing
Inspired by the natural beauty of cedar shake roofs and slate roof shingles, DaVinci composite roofing tiles will enhance the appearance of any property. Developed with a state-of-the-art polymer chemistry, DaVinci polymer composite roofing tiles are not only beautiful but durable enough to protect and enhance a home’s value.
With 50 standard colors available, DaVinci’s composite roofing tiles offer homeowners the authentic colours and natural textures of quarried slate, hand-split cedar or machine- sawn shakes. All DaVinci roofing materials are virtually maintenance free, come with a Lifetime Limited Material Warranty, and are more cost-effective than natural cedar or slate products.
DaVinci offers an industry-leading selection of shingles, widths, colors, and blends. DaVinci composite shake and slate roofs have a natural, authentic look. Along with DaVinci’s traditional DaVinci Slate®, and DaVinci Shake®tiles, DaVinic also offers single-width Bellaforté Slate® and Bellaforté Shake® products.